Adult supervision for all children.
Children and parents love the playground at Meeks Park! The fenced-in playground is fun for children of all ages with slides, tunnels, ramps, and ladders.
Playgrounds and outdoor play equipment provide fun, fresh air, and exercise. Kids should always have adult supervision on the playground. Young children (and sometimes older ones) can't always gauge distances properly and aren't capable of foreseeing dangerous situations by themselves. Older kids like to test their limits on the playground, so it's important for an adult to be there to keep them in check.
Help keep your playground clean and safe by picking up trash, using the equipment properly, and reporting any problems to the Union County Recreation Department. If a part seems broken, loose, or in need of other maintenance, designate it off limits immediately and call (706) 439-6074.
Teaching Kids Playground Safety
Safe playground equipment and adult supervision are extremely important, but it's only half of the equation. Kids must know how to be safe and act responsibly at the playground.
Here are some general rules to teach your kids:
Never push or roughhouse while on jungle gyms, slides, seesaws, swings, and other equipment.
- Use equipment properly — slide feet first, don't climb outside guardrails, no standing on swings, etc.
- If you jump off equipment, always check to make sure no other kids are in the way and make sure to land on both feet with knees slightly bent.
- Leave bikes, backpacks, and bags away from the equipment and the area where you're playing so that no one trips over them.
- Playground equipment should never be used if it is wet because moisture causes the surface to be slippery.
- During the summertime, playground equipment can become uncomfortably or even dangerously hot, especially metal slides. So use good judgment – if the equipment feels hot to the touch, it's probably not safe or fun to play on.
- Don't wear clothes with drawstrings or other strings at the playground. Drawstrings, purses, and necklaces could get caught on equipment and cause accidental strangulation.
- Wear sunscreen when playing outside even on cloudy days so that you don't get sunburned.