- are dwellings
- are accessory structures over 150sf
- alter the existing footprint of a structure
- require water, sewer or electric connection
- are located within a designated stream buffer or flood hazard area
Some examples of projects which require a building permit include but are not limited to:
- commercial and residential buildings
- mobile homes
- travel trailers used as a part time or full time residence
- garages, carports and storage buildings
- renovation/finishing of any areas within a residence or building
- decks, porches and porch roofs
- additions to an existing structure
- any structure or disturbance located in a designated stream buffer or flood hazard area
- building in Mountain Protection
- mobile home evaluations
PLEASE CALL IF YOU ARE UNCLEAR IF YOU NEED A PERMIT OR NOT
Some examples of projects which DO NOT require a building permit include but are not limited to:
- roofing material and exterior siding change
- replacement of floor covering
- painting and wallpapering
- sidewalks and driveways
To obtain a building permit for a structure built or placed on your property, the following information must be submitted prior to it being issued.
- Basic information including property owner name(s), mailing address, contact phone number, job address, directions, size of lot, value of project, type of project, and licensed builder/ subcontractor affidavit (click here to access Licensed Builder/Subcontractor Affidavit).
- A recorded plat of the property on which the structure will be located.
- The most recent warranty or quit claim deed showing ownership of the property on which the structure will be located.
- A drawing/ floor plan and description of work to be completed for each floor and/ or structure.
- Other necessary information may include but are not limited to a culvert permit, an approved DOT driveway permit, an elevation certificate, engineered plans, septic permit and GA EPD Notice of Intent.
- Commercial Plan Review fee of $300 cash or check is due at time of initial submission. Each revision requires a fee of $100 in cash or check at time of submission.
Building permits are valid for one year from date of issue, after which a renewal is required. Permits and inspections are required and any person violating any provision of the Union County Building and Building Regulations Ordinance or the Manufactured Homes and Trailer Ordinance shall be punishable pursuant Union County Code, Chapter 18 and/ or Union County Code, Chapter 46.