Building Permits

Building permits are issued to insure fair and equal taxation, to see that environmental laws and local ordinances are adhered to during construction and to insure the safety of the public and their property through proper building techniques by following building codes. Union County requires a building permit for all construction projects that:
  • are dwellings (part-time or full-time)
  • are accessory structures over 150sf
  • alter the existing footprint of a structure
  • require water, sewer or electric connection
  • are located within a designated stream buffer or flood hazard area
  • require tree removal in a designated Mountain Protection area.
  • require any land disturbance of property.

Some examples of projects which require a building permit include but are not limited to:

  • commercial and residential buildings
  • mobile homes
  • recreational vehicles, tiny homes, yurts, or any alternative habitable structures used as a part-time or full-time residence
  • garages, carports, pole barns, agricultural barns, and storage buildings
  • renovation/finishing of any areas within a residence or building
  • decks, porches and porch roofs
  • additions to an existing structure (including lean-to’s)
  • any structure or disturbance located in a designated stream buffer or flood hazard area
  • building, grading, or tree cutting/removal in Mountain Protection
  • manufactured mobile home evaluations for used homes being moved within or into Union County
  • additions, upgrades, or modifications to electrical, HVAC, plumbing, gas systems, or structural components (including roof/pitch changes)

PLEASE CALL IF YOU ARE UNCLEAR IF YOU NEED A PERMIT OR NOT.  Permitting is the responsibility of the OWNER.

Some examples of projects which DO NOT require a building permit include but are not limited to:

  • roofing material and exterior siding change
  • replacement of floor covering
  • painting and wallpapering
  • sidewalks and driveways
  • fences

To obtain a building permit for a structure built or placed on your property, the following information must be submitted prior to it being issued.

  • Basic information including property owner name(s), mailing address, contact phone number, email address, job address, directions, size of lot, value of project, type of project, and licensed builder/ subcontractor affidavit (click here to access Licensed Builder/Subcontractor Affidavit).
  • A recorded plat of the property on which the structure will be located with site plan showing setbacks from property lines and any bodies of water.
  • The most recent recorded warranty or quit claim deed showing ownership of the property on which the structure will be located.
  • A drawing/ floor plan and description of work to be completed for each floor and/ or structure, which includes square footage, bathroom layouts, kitchen layouts, all window sizes, porches, and decks.
  • Other necessary information may include but are not limited to a culvert permit, an approved DOT driveway permit, an elevation certificate, engineered plans, septic permit, GA EPD Notice of Intent, and an approved Erosion & Sediment plan.
  • Commercial Plan Review fee of $300 cash or check is due at time of initial submission.  Each revision requires a fee of $100 in cash or check at time of submission.

You may submit above information online at: or
or fax to (706) 439-6107


Building permits are valid for one year from date of issue, after which a renewal or a new permit is required. Permits and inspections are required prior to the grading or start of a project.  Any person violating any provision of the Union County Building and Building Regulations Ordinance or the Manufactured Homes and Trailer Ordinance shall be punishable pursuant Union County Code, Chapter 18 and/ or Union County Code, Chapter 46.