Message from Union County Commissioner's Office:

Click Here

E-911 FAQ

When should I call 911?

When there is an emergency or risk of personal harm or property damage, call 911. If you are unsure, call the non-emergency phone line (706) 439-6038.

How do I get a Burn Permit?

Call 800-GATREES or 478-751-3500 – visit this website:

Can the 911 Center run a license plate if I provide the number?

No. We are not authorized to release any information from the NCIC/GCIC Computer System to the public.

Can the 911 Center run a Criminal Background on someone for me?

No. All Criminal History information is obtained through the local Sheriff Office, FBI or GBI.

Can I speak to a Police Officer when I call 911?

There are no officers available at the 911 Center. The officers may be contacted by a dispatcher to call you back or go to your location to speak with you if needed.

Why do the 911 operators ask so many questions?

Our 911 Dispatchers are trained to screen your call in order to send the most appropriate response to your emergency. They ask questions so they can provide you with the most efficient resources during your time of need.

Can I give my child an old cell phone to use as a toy?

If you choose to give a non-working cell phone to a child, please remove the battery. The phone may still call 911 when dialed, or the emergency button pressed, even if there is no longer active service on the phone.

Do you know where I am if I call from a standard land line?

Yes, when a 911 call is received from a land line phone the following information is automatically shown on the operators computer: the address, telephone number, and name of the owner.

Can you find me if I call from a cell phone?

Normally, if your cell phone has a GPS locator, but you must remain on the line. Do not hang up. Even if you are unable to speak, leave the call connected.

I accidentally called 911. Should I simply hang up?

No. When a 911 operator receives a 911 hang up call, they have no way of knowing if there is a true emergency, or if it was a false call. 911 operators call back the telephone number to see if there is an emergency, and they always send a police officer to the residence to confirm that everything is okay. DO NOT HANG UP THE PHONE IF YOU DIAL 9-1-1. STAY ON THE LINE AND SPEAK TO A 9-1-1 OPERATOR.

Why does the fire department respond to medical emergencies along with an ambulance?

When a medical emergency is dispatched, the fire department can often arrive first on the scene, and begin treatment and stabilization of the patient prior to arrival of EMS. This action can make a difference in the outcome of the patient, sometimes saving their life.

What is CodeRED and what is it used for?

CodeRED is a web-based critical communication solution that enables local public safety personnel to notify residents, businesses and visitors by phone, text, email, and social media of time-sensitive information, emergencies, or urgent notifications in a timely manner.

How do I sign-up for CodeRED?

Visit our website, Union County CodeRed,, or by texting UCALERTS to 99411.

If someone does not have internet access and/or needs assistance,  you can call Union County EMA at (706) 439-6091 or CodeRED support team at (866) 939-0911.


Does Union Alert cost anything to use?

No. There is no cost for an individual who has registered for the Alert; however, your cell phone carrier may charge you to receive text messages, so please check your plan.


Message from Union County Commissioner's Office:

A Public Hearing will be held on Thursday, July 18, 2024 at 5:00 p.m. in the Union County Courthouse, 65 Courthouse Street,
Courtroom A, Blairsville, Georgia

The purpose of this hearing will be for Union County to provide information and answer questions regarding the abandonment of Old Lows Mill Road and Old Ivy Log Road as they no longer serve a useful public purpose. Please send your comments via regular mail or to the email address listed on our website.

Union County Commissioner
Posted: July 2, 2024