283 Farmers Market Way
Blairsville, GA 30512
July 7 - October 1, 2020
Tuesdays & Thursdays
Special Days: Oct 20 & 27
6:00am - noon BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Manager: Mickey Cummings
Asst. Manager: Kristy Peney
|Phone: (706) 439-6043
Union County Canning Plant Information & COVID-19 Guidelines
July 7-October 1, 2020 • Tuesdays & Thursdays BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Special Days: October 20 & 27, 2020 • BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Appointments: Appointments must be made in advance by calling (706) 439-6043 at least 24 hours ahead. Appointments will be scheduled in two different time slots: 6am-8:45am and 9am-11:45am. Appointments are timed so please do not bring more then you can do in your assigned time as time limits are set and cannot be extended.
- Use of the Canning Plant will be by appointment only. No walkups will be accepted. Appointments will be limited to 11 groups per time slot. No children under 13 will be permitted in the Canning Plant under any circumstances.
- All persons entering the Canning Plant shall be screened for cough, fever, and recent exposure to COVID-19. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or greater will not be permitted to enter the Union County Canning Plant.
- Face masks or face covering are required to enter the Union County Canning Plant. An appropriate face mask or face covering is one that covers the wearer’s nose and mouth with fabric or filter material. Gloves are also required inside the Canning Plant.
- Maintain proper social distancing while inside the Canning Plant. Please remain at your assigned table as much as possible. If you need something ask a staff member.
What to bring: Jars, lids (Ball or Kerr), bands, product to be canned, your recipe and all ingredients.
- New in 2020: schedule your day/time by calling the Canning Plant.
- Upon arrival, fill out the 2020 Registration Form/Waiver. The first time you come in, sign in at the next available number. This is your number for the year. When returning, you will use this same number. In case you forget your number, a list will be posted for your convenience.
- Go to the table you are assigned. Please remain at your assigned table as much as possible and out of areas that have been designated off-limits.
- Prepare your product (Due to COVID-19 we recommend you wash your product at home before bringing to the cannery). If your product needs steaming/cooking, please signal a staff member who will cook/steam your product and return it to you.
- Place jars upside down in small baskets for sterilization and signal staff member who will sterilize and return jars to you.
- Write your registration number on lids (with Sharpie) and immerse your lids in hot water.
- Put your hot product in jars.
- Put lids/bands on your jars and signal a staff member they are ready to be processed.
- Clean any Canning Plant equipment used and your table and be inspected by a staff member.
- Return after designated time to pick up and pay for your product.
- Fill out envelope, place exact amount inside envelope, seal and place in collection box.
Check out this great video on the Union County Canning Plant: Canning Plant Video